Thursday, January 27, 2011

More on Christmas day

After opening present at our house we went to my parents for our annual Christmas morning breakfast. Then it was on to MORE presents. This year my parents gave the kids a special present., one made by their grandpa. My dad made each family their own picnic table that is identical to the one that we had as kids. I love it when my kids get handmade gifts. I think it make the gift that much more special and valuable. Here's a good picture of the tables along with some of the fun stuff my mom got for the kids to do on their table.
This picture makes me laugh. What kid is excited for clothes? I guess mine.
Here's a cute picture of Ethan tell my mom thank you for his present.
So this year for my parents Christmas gift all of the kids when in together to get them a new computer. I'd been stressing over this present all month because I wanted to make sure we got them a good computer and I wanted it to be a big surprise. 

When we were kids my dad would play a trick on us and only give us part of our gifts. For instance when I was about 12 or 13 I wanted my own CD player. So I got a CD in my stocking but no CD player. My dad asked me why would go get a CD when you don't have a CD player? I of course had no idea but was thankful for what I got. My dad then told me to start looking around and see if maybe I could find some other presents. So then it was a big hunt to find the rest of your presents. This kind of gift giving continued on for the rest of my life and continues on today. So why am I telling you all of this. Because as adults we play the same trick on our dad. 

First we gave him and my mom 2 presents. The first one was a computer cable. When they opened it we asked them why would you need a new computer cable? Then they got the rest of their present which was the new computer. I think my parents really like their present and I know it was a big surprise.
After breakfast and opening presents we headed to my Grandma's for more yummy food and more presents. As you can tell Christmas in my family is all about good food and presents. Here is a picture of all of the grandkids on the Withers side at my Grandma's. The kids are all growing up so quickly. Even mine. 

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That's a really fun way to give gifts--draws out the surprise. Love it.
And those picnic tables your dad made are awesome!