Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Madelyn's 1st haircut

Beware this is a long story but a good one. I have never been so sad and so angry in one day until this day...

Every morning the kids and I get up, eat breakfast and then I let Ethan watch a show while Madelyn plays on the floor. This day was the same as any other day. I was back on the computer checking my email and could hear the kids playing. I could hear Madelyn playing with her toys and babbling as she always does. Then she let out this horrible scream and started crying. I bolted down the hall and was meet half way my Ethan who had my sewing scissors in his hands. At first I thought he had hit Madelyn on the head with them and then to my horror I realized that her hair was all over the floor. I picked her up and saw this...
Ethan had cut her hair! I was so angry that I sent Ethan to time out and went to the back room in shock. What! Why and how did this happen? At first I was so angry with Ethan but as I sat on the floor and thought about what had just happened I realized that I could only be angry with myself. I was not watching the kids like a hawk and had left the scissor on the kitchen table where Ethan found them. I then sent a picture to Jared and called my best friend to come to my rescue. Jared had the car at work and I was stuck at home with the kids. I knew that her hair cut was pretty bad and that most likely the only way to fix it was to buzz her. But I was hoping that my friend would be able to do something other then that.

After collecting myself I looked at Madelyn and saw why she screamed the way she did. Ethan had cut her neck. Along with all of her hair. I went to Ethan and we had a long talk about cutting hair. I told him that the only people who cut hair are mom, dad, and my friend Kristy. I asked him why he cut her hair and he said that it was long and she need a hair cut. I laughed a little inside cuz I guess to a 3 year old her hair did look long. So he sat in the corner longer and I took away all shows for the day.

My friend came over and looked at how short he cut her hair and said that really the only way to fix it is to buzz it. I knew that she was right but I just couldn't do it. So she just trimmed her up and tried to make the best of it.
While she was cutting her hair I started to feel like the worst mom ever. Why did I let this happen. My sweet baby girl now looks like a boy all because I wasn't watching them close enough. I actually got so sad and upset that I had to take a little break from it all. I went to my bedroom and cried for a few minutes. Then came back to see the final hair cut. She look terrible but there was nothing I could do about it now.
Life has gone on and Madelyn is fine. Her hair has actually start growing in pretty well. This was just a small moment in time and I'm sure it won't be the last time I feel this way but for that moment it was a big deal and a day full of ups & downs.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh Shan!! I am so sorry. I totally know the feeling of guilt that comes from being human as a mom. Just know that you are an awesome mom....and just because of these moments, it doesn't take that away!
Whenever I read stories like these I always think it is more traumatic for the mom than the kids involved. Just know that at some point, way down the road, you will look at these pictures with your grown kids and get a good laugh about the mischief and such they got into together. It goes by so dang quick.

Becky said...

Sad! But, it inevitably happens in every family. Once my oldest sister cut all of our bangs OFF. Three little girls with long red shinny hair and stubble for bangs. My mom was mortified. But we all grew up to be fine adults. You're a great mom! And I miss you!

Unknown said...

I'm already almost lol. I did feel sad a bit reading this because I SAW how sad you were and quite frankly, devastated. I'm happy that I could "rescue" you and be there more for support. Darn these kids who cut hair. Why I oughtta!!!